Rat Infestation: Signs of Rats & Prevention
Ready to Get Rid of Rodents for Good?
Almost all types of rodents, especially rats, are responsible for transmitting various diseases. Aside from that, their feeding habits are also known to be quite destructive and nesting manners can affect the structure of any building.
However, unlike a few other types of pests, the rats are known to be quite secretive. Therefore, it becomes difficult for almost anyone to find the traces of rat infestation.
What Is The Sign Of A Rat Infestation?
One of the most noticeable signs of a rat infestation is the presence of live or dead rats. As mentioned before, this type of rodents usually prefers to hide in the dark, away from the human eyes. So, if you are observing even any one of them on plain sight, then it means that a massive infestation already exists in your house.
Besides rats, you might also be able to encounter their feces or droppings, which would indicate a healthy and vigorous rat population in your home. You may also see dirt or grease marks on your walls if your house is being infested by the rats.
If you are yet to see these obvious signs, then you can also try to look for rat trails. You might also want to look for gnaw marks on any material that is made by woods or plastics.
Diseases That Can Be Caused By Rats
If the infestation of rats keeps increasing in your house, then it is possible that you will encounter more rodents every day. Sometimes, during a face-off, you might also get bitten or scratched by them. If the rat is already infected with some disease, then you might get affected by the same disease.
Disease, which a rat can transmit, usually falls into two different categories. Here is what you need to know about them.
The following are some of the diseases that the rats can transmit directly.
- Leptospirosis: Leptospirosis is a type of bacterial disease that affects both humans as well as animals, especially rats. You will get affected by this disease if you come into any contact with the contaminated water, such as drinking or swimming in it. This type of ailment usually causes a high fever and severe headache.
- Salmonellosis: It is yet another type of bacterial disease that affects the intestinal tract. This ailment usually gets spread by contaminated rat feces.
- Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome: Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome is a type of viral disease, which the rice rats are responsible for transmitting. This type of sickness usually gets transmitted in three different ways, which are:
- By inhaling contaminated dust
- Direct contact with rat urine or feces
- Rat bites
- Rat-bite Fever: Just like the name suggests, the Rat-bite Fever usually gets transmitted through a bite or a scratch of a rat.
Think you have rats, mice or rodents issue? Call 888-408-2399 to request pest extermination service today!
Here are some of the diseases that might get transmitted from a rat indirectly.
- Colorado Tick Fever: Colorado Tick Fever is a type of viral disease, which gets transmitted by a tick bite that has consumed blood from a wood rat.
- Plague: Plague is a bacterial disease, which is caused by Yersinia pestis bacterium. The humans generally get affected by this disease after being bitten by a flea that has consumed an infected rat’s blood.
- Cutaneous Leishmaniasis: It is yet another disease that gets spread by a sandfly, which has previously consumed blood from an infected wood rat.
How to Prevent Rats in Homes?
There are several ways, which can help you to prevent rats from getting in your home. Here are some of them.
- Remove the Current Manifestation
To exterminate rats from your resident, the first thing that you have to do is to remove all the rat occupants from your house. For that, you can opt for two different methods, which are- baiting and trapping.
For trapping, make sure to opt for the snap-style traps. They are a lot more convenient in terms of using, and, can kill the rats almost instantly. On the other hand, for baiting, you can go for the tamper-resistant bait stations, which are known to be perfect for holding baits. However, no matter what you are using, make sure to keep both of them in those places where you have the gnaw marks and droppings.
- Close Every Bit of Holes in Your House
Most rats or mice usually enter any resident through small holes. Therefore, if you want to keep rats away from your residence, then make sure to close all of each and every hole of it. While sealing up your home, try to pay particular attention to the windows, doors, and ventilation system.
- Keep Your House Hygienic
If the rodents do not find any foods in your home, then they would certainly not build up a colony in your home. Therefore, most pest control organizations suggest people not to keep the food items here and there.
Aside from that, you would also have to make sure that you are keeping all the pet foods and garbage in a rat-proof bin.
- Use Mints
Almost all the members of the rodent family usually avoid mints because of its scent. Therefore, if you want to keep rats away from your house, then make sure to plant mint trees in your garden or in the outdoor. You may also use peppermint oil in the corners of your house to prevent rats from entering your house.
- Get a New Furry Friends
Cats are known to be one of the best deterrents for both mice and rats. They are the mortal enemies of the rodents; therefore, they can help you in both keeping them away from your residents and killing them.
No matter how hard you try or which method you opt for, you can never exterminate a large number of rats alone. Therefore, if you need a friendly hand with this cause, then make sure to call the 24H Pest Pros. Aside from removing the infestation successfully, they can also add preventive measures with your home to keep the rats away from you.