- Our Services
- Service Areas
- Pest Library
- About Us
Lice are tiny insects that live in human hair and feed on blood. Lice eggs, also known as nits, can be found on the shaft of hair close to the scalp.
It is very difficult to remove this wingless parasite from hair or clothing without professional treatment, but there are many ways to prevent lice infestations in the first place.
If you suspect your child has lice or if you have seen an adult with them then it is important to know how to get rid of them effectively.
This detailed blog post will provide a guide on what are lice, their types, and how to get rid of lice!
Lice are tiny parasites that live in human hair and feed on blood. They can spread from person to person through direct contact and by sharing belongings.
Phthiraptera, more commonly known as lice, is a clade that contains nearly 5,000 species of wingless parasites.
There are 3 types of lice:
If not dealt with in the correct way, these parasites can become a constant issue.
The three stages of the life cycle for a body louse are egg, nymph, and adult.
Eggs: Body lice eggs are known as nits. They're tough to detect and frequently mistaken for dandruff.
The adult female deposits nits at the base of the hair shaft closest to the skin, which are then cemented into place.
Nits are small, oval-shaped eggs that measure 0.8 mm by 0.3 mm. They usually hatch within a week (between 6 and 9 days).
Viable eggs are generally found 6 mm from the skin's surface.
Nymph: The nymph emerges from the egg. The nit shell then becomes a lighter yellow, becoming more apparent and remaining attached to the hair shaft.
The adult female body louse is about the size of a pinhead and has four legs, whereas the juvenile nymph has only three legs.
Nymphs develop after three molts and become adults seven days later.
Adult: Adult lice are tiny, about the size of a sesame seed, and have six legs (have claws). Adult lice are tan to grayish-white in color.
They can cause a lot of discomfort, and their bites may be poisonous. They lay between one and eight nits per day, depending on gender.
They can survive thirty days or more on a person's body.
Adult lice can survive up to 30 days on a person's head. To live, they must feed on blood at least twice each day.
If the louse does not consume blood meals, it will die in 1 to 2 days after detachment from the host.
See Also: Does Rubbing Alcohol Kill Bed Bugs
Head Lice are among the most common of all human parasites, with an estimated 6 to 12 million infestations in the United States alone each year among children from 3 to 11 years of age.
Wingless parasites are found worldwide and affect people of all ages, races, and socioeconomic levels.
An infestation of head lice may not be indicative of poor personal hygiene or an unclean environment.
Common signs and symptoms of lice include:
Head Lice are most commonly spread through direct contact with an infected person or their clothing, hats, bedding, or other personal items.
Sharing combs, brushes, hair accessories, headgear (such as headphones), towels, pillows, upholstered furniture, or any other item that may have had contact with an infested person's hair.
Being in close contact with someone who has head lice, such as during play at school, slumber parties, sports activities, or camp.
While they are not known to carry diseases, they can cause itching and irritation. Checking for parasites is relatively simple, but it does require patience and a sharp eye.
If you find any evidence of head lice, contact your doctor or a local clinic for treatment options.
There are a few different ways to treat this wingless parasite, but the most important thing is to be thorough.
You'll need to treat not only the person who has head lice but also everyone in their household and anyone they've been in close contact with.
You should also wash all bedding, towels, and clothing in hot water and dry them on high heat to kill any remaining lice and their eggs.
A dermatologist or pediatrician can also recommend an effective treatment for your child. This may be a prescription treatment or over-the-counter medication may help.
There are two prominent over-the-counter medications: permethrin and pyrethrin. This does not kill nits
With a little patience and effort, you can get rid of this parasite for good!
They are notoriously difficult to get rid of, and even people who take extra care to avoid them can find themselves with an infestation.
There are several reasons why lice are so hardy creatures.
In short, lice are difficult to get rid of because they reproduce quickly, avoid detection, and resist treatment.
If you find yourself with an infestation, it is best to seek professional help.
They are a common problem for school-aged children and their families. Although this parasite does not carry disease, it can be a nuisance.
The good news is that there are several effective ways to get rid of them naturally.
Read Also: Does Bleach Kill Roaches
Yes, some essential oils can be effective in killing lice and nits. Tea tree oil, eucalyptus oil, and lavender oil have all been shown to be effective against head lice treatment.
To use essential oils to kill lice, mix a few drops of the oil with water or vinegar and apply it to the hair and scalp.
Leave it on for at least 30 minutes, then comb through the hair with a fine-toothed nit comb to remove the dead lice and nits.
Repeat the process every few days until all these parasites are gone.
There are a lot of home remedies out there for lice removal, but does vinegar actually kill lice? The answer is yes!
Vinegar is an acidic substance that can help to break down the exoskeleton of lice, ultimately killing them.
You may need to repeat this treatment a few times to completely remove lice.
If you find lice in your home, it is important to take steps to remove them as quickly as possible.
Head lice can spread very easily from person to person, so it is important to treat any infestation promptly.
There are a few different ways to get rid of lice in your home.
Insecticidal lice shampoos are the most common treatment for head lice, but they are not without their drawbacks.
Shaving your head is one way to get rid of lice, but it is not the most effective method.
This parasite can survive for a short time without hair, so it will quickly move to another person if given the opportunity.
Additionally, shaving your head will not remove all of the nits (lice eggs) from your hair, so you will still need to use another method to get rid of them.
Washing your hair will not get rid of this parasite, but it can help to remove some of the nits (lice eggs) from your hair.
To effectively remove nits from your hair, you will need to use a nit comb or some other type of fine-toothed comb.
Start at the roots of your hair and work the comb through to the ends, being sure to remove all of the nits that you find.
You may need to repeat this process a few times to completely remove all of the nits from your hair.
You must wash all clothing in hot water and dry it with a warm cloth. Bags made of plastic. When it is impossible to throw items into a washing machine or dryer place them inside secure bags for 2-4 days.
Petroleum gel (vasoline). Unlike olive oil most mother swears on them as well as mayonnaise and styling gels. The thick jelly is said to suffocate lice and clog up a breathing hole.
For best results, coat hair and skin with hair spray overnight.
Head lice can’t be removed by itself. It is important to get your baby checked out immediately. Get in touch with a medical professional.
In summary, getting rid of lice can be a difficult and time-consuming process. However, it is important to take the necessary steps to remove them from your home as quickly as possible.
If you have any questions or concerns, be sure to speak with a medical professional.
They will be able to help you determine the best course of action for your particular situation.
Thanks for reading! I hope this article was helpful.